- STARTING PAY RATE: $11.50/hour
- JOB TYPE: Part-Time Hourly, Seasonal
- POSITION START DATE: May 30, 2017
Under the supervision of the Youth Programs and Events Supervisor, Camp Counselors teach and supervise youth ages 6-17 in a watersports environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise and ensure the safety of campers and camp activities
- Set-up and clean-up of equipment
- Maintain attendance records
- Provide outstanding customer service
- Supervise equipment use during camp and special event activities
- Other duties as assigned
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- High School Diploma
- Experience working with kids aged 6-17 preferred
- Must possess experience in one of the following areas: Wakeboarding, Waterskiing, Surfing, Kayaking, Stand Up Paddling, Sailing, or Marine Science
- Some prior teaching experience is preferred
- Bilingual Spanish skills are highly desirable
License & Certification Requirements
- Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- NASBLA approved powerboat certification (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- Must pass MBAC Sailing Qualification (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- Must prioritize the safety of MBAC participants and staff as well as other water users
- Must be available to work during the summer months
- Continually work toward improving technical skills and teaching abilities
- Capable of maintaining positive working relationships with other staff and customers
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision and as a team player
- Able to interact effectively with a wide diversity of people and support San Diego State University Associated Students’ values and mission
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must possess experience and skill in one of the following areas: Wakeboarding, Waterskiing, Surfing, Kayaking, Stand Up Paddling, Sailing, or Marine Science
- Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
- Must have good interpersonal skills and a desire to provide excellent customer service
Schedule and Working Conditions
This is a part-time position. Applicants must be available to work June through August. Flexibility and a willingness to work long hours including weekends with high demand during summer.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment will involve exposure to salt water, cold water, sun, wind, rain, weather, sand, seaweed, sea grass, ocean currents, sea creatures, breaking waves, and other outdoor elements.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: swimming, swimming in rough and deep water, walking, running, walking or running over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, pulling, and carrying loads. Must be able to swim at least 550 yards, dive at least 10 feet deep, swim with a 10 pound object for at least 20 yards, and tread water for at least 2 minutes. Must be able to watch and supervise groups of students in the ocean and/or bay while coaching technique and supervising safety. Must be able to recognize and respond to emergencies and prevent injuries or drowning.
How to Apply
Download and complete application and supplemental questionnaire or in person at the Mission Bay Aquatic Center at 1001 Santa Clara Pl., San Diego, CA 92109 or at the Associated Students Business Office on the lower level in Aztec Center at SDSU.
A background check (including a criminal records check) may be required for this position and must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with Associated Students of SDSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current A.S. employees who apply for the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Associated Students is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion (to include religious dress practice and religious grooming practice), color, sex (to include breastfeeding or medical conditions related to breastfeed-ing), age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, military status, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression or any other protected group. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.