Youth Camp Counselor
- STARTING PAY RATE: $11.50/hour
- JOB TYPE: Part-Time Hourly, Seasonal
- POSITION START DATE: May 30, 2018
- Supervise and ensure the safety of campers and camp activities
- Set-up and clean-up of equipment
- Assist with camp check-in and check-out
- Maintain attendance records
- Supervise equipment use during camp activities
- Other duties as assigned
- Provides outstanding customer service
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- High School Diploma
- Priority given to current SDSU and UCSD students
- Experience working with children ages 6-17 preferred
- Experience in Wakeboarding, Waterskiing, Wakesurfing, Surfing, Stand Up Paddling, Kayaking, Sailing, or Marine Science required
- Some prior teaching experience is preferred
- Bilingual, Spanish-speaking skills are high desirable
- Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- US Powerboating Safe Powerboat Handling (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- Must pass MBAC Sailing Qualification (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- FBI, DOJ, and LiveScan fingerprint clearance
- Current valid Driver’s License
- Must prioritize the safety of MBAC participants and staff as well as other water users
- Must be available to work during the summer months
- Continually work toward improving technical skills and teaching abilities
- Capable of maintaining positive working relationships with other staff and customers
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision and as a team player
- Able to interact effectively with a wide diversity of people and support San Diego State University Associated Students’ values and mission
- Must possess experience and skill in one of the following areas: Wakeboarding, Waterskiing, Wakesurfing, Surfing, Kayaking, Stand Up Paddling, Sailing, or Marine Science
- Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
- Must have good interpersonal skills and a desire to provide excellent customer service
- Applicants must be available to work June through August.
- Flexibility and a willingness to work long days
Under the supervision of the Youth Camp Supervisor, camp counselors will teach and supervise youth ages 6-17 in an aquatic environment. Counselors are responsible for all aspects of camp operations including, but not limited to: supervising and ensuring the safety of campers, teaching watersports, setting up and cleaning up equipment, and providing outstanding customer service. Activities occur both on land and on/in the water.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Customer Service and Collaboration
License & Certifications:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Schedule and Working Conditions
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment will involve exposure to salt water, cold water, sun, wind, rain, weather, sand, seaweed, sea grass, ocean currents, sea creatures, breaking waves, and other outdoor elements.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: swimming, swimming in rough and deep water, walking, running, walking or running over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, pulling, and carrying loads. Must be able to swim at least 550 yards, dive at least 10 feet deep, swim with a 10 pound object for at least 20 yards, and tread water for at least 2 minutes. Must be able to watch and supervise groups of students in the ocean while coaching technique and supervising safety. Must be able to recognize and respond to emergencies and prevent injuries or drowning.
How to Apply
To apply for this job you must apply online on the Aocaited Students website using the link below.
A background check (including a criminal records check) may be required for this position and must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with Associated Students of SDSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current A.S. employees who apply for the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Associated Students is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion (to include religious dress practice and religious grooming practice), color, sex (to include breastfeeding or medical conditions related to breastfeed-ing), age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, military status, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression or any other protected group. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.