- STARTING PAY RATE: $12.20/hour
- JOB TYPE: Part-Time Hourly
- POSITION START DATE: May 2017
Under the direction of the Instructional Supervisor, the Dockmaster is responsible for providing a safe and enjoyable rental experience for MBAC customers. The Dockmaster will assist with the rental of sailboats, kayaks, stand up paddleboards, and rowing equipment. When not assisting customers, Dockmasters will complete safety inspections and preventative maintenance projects and ensure that MBAC yard/storage areas are presentable and obstruction free.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide support and outstanding experience to MBAC rental customers.
- Prepare customers for a safe experience by providing thorough introductions to equipment and safety requirements.
- Maintain safety of the MBAC rental program by performing equipment inspections and completing preventative maintenance projects.
- Monitor changing weather and water traffic conditions and advise renters of situations that can affect their experience.
- Accurately document and organize rental related paperwork.
- Responsible for opening and closing the MBAC boat yard and equipment storage areas.
- Maintain strong communication with MBAC Office Assistants and Instructional Staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Minimum & Preferred Requirements:
- High School Diploma
- Working knowledge of watersports equipment care and rigging.
License & Certification Requirements
- Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- NASBLA approved powerboat certification (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- Able to interact effectively with a wide diversity of people and support San Diego State University Associated Students’ values and mission.
- Prioritize safety when assisting customers and coworkers.
- Continually monitor weather, water traffic, and MBAC activity.
- Be proactive about maintaining functioning equipment and clean areas.
- Capable of maintaining positive working relationships with staff, customers, supervisors, and vendors.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Technical knowledge of and/or experience sailing, kayaking, and stand up paddling
- Powerboat driving experience preferred
- Trailering experience preferred
Schedule and Working Conditions
This is a part-time position. Flexibility and willingness to work long hours including weekends with high demand during summer.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment will involve exposure to salt water, cold water, sun, wind, rain, weather, sand, seaweed, sea grass, ocean currents, sea creatures, breaking waves, and other outdoor elements.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: swimming, swimming in rough and deep water, walking, running, walking or running over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, pulling, and carrying loads. Must be able to swim at least 550 yards, dive at least 10 feet deep, swim with a 10 pound object for at least 20 yards, and tread water for at least 2 minutes. Must be able to watch and supervise groups of students in the ocean and/or bay while coaching technique and supervising safety. Must be able to recognize and respond to emergencies and prevent injuries or drowning.
How to Apply
Download and complete application and supplemental questionnaire or in person at the Mission Bay Aquatic Center at 1001 Santa Clara Pl., San Diego, CA 92109 or at the Associated Students Business Office on the lower level in Aztec Center at SDSU.
A background check (including a criminal records check) may be required for this position and must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with Associated Students of SDSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current A.S. employees who apply for the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Associated Students is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion (to include religious dress practice and religious grooming practice), color, sex (to include breastfeeding or medical conditions related to breastfeed-ing), age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, military status, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression or any other protected group. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.