- STARTING PAY RATE: $10.80/hr
- JOB TYPE: Part-Time Hourly
- POSITION START DATE: ASAP
- Maintenance Assistants are expected to accomplish a wide range of tasks including fiberglass repairs, facility maintenance, aquatic equipment repairs, preventative maintenance, sweeping, painting, washing, and moving of a large quantity of equipment
- Maintain maintenance records
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma
- Must be familiar with the use of basic hand and power tools
- Prior watersports equipment and/or mechanical maintenance experience is preferred
- Red Cross CPR and First Aid (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- NASBLA approved powerboat certification (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- Must possess a valid CA driver’s license
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to the MBAC and Associated Students Codes of Safe Practices
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
- Must be available to work year round
- Continually work toward improving technical skills
- Capable of maintaining positive working relationships with other staff, customers, and vendors
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision and as a team player
- Able to interact effectively with a wide diversity of people and support San Diego State University Associated Students’ values and mission
- Must have good critical thinking skills, a willingness to help others, and a strong desire to learn a wide variety of skills
- Must be experienced in the use of basic hand and power tools
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong problem solving skills
- Technical knowledge of watersports equipment
Under the supervision of the Maintenance Supervisor, Maintenance Assistants perform building and equipment repairs and maintenance as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
License & Certification Requirements
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Schedule and Working Conditions
This is a part-time position. Flexibility and willingness to work long hours including weekends with high demand during summer.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment will involve exposure to water, salt water, dust, grease, sand, sun, wind, rain, weather, seaweed, sea grass, hazardous chemicals, and other industrial hazards.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: walking, bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, pulling, carrying loads, and working in narrow or tight spaces.
How to Apply
Download and complete application and supplemental questionnaire or in person at the Mission Bay Aquatic Center at 1001 Santa Clara Pl., San Diego, CA 92109 or at the Associated Students Business Office on the lower level in Aztec Center at SDSU.
A background check (including a criminal records check) may be required for this position and must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with Associated Students of SDSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current A.S. employees who apply for the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Associated Students is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion (to include religious dress practice and religious grooming practice), color, sex (to include breastfeeding or medical conditions related to breastfeed-ing), age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, military status, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression or any other protected group. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.